Tuesday 7 August 2012

Chantal's Top Ten Games:

10.) The Sims 2 for PC (and expansion/stuff packs) :



To start off this list, here is number ten. The Sims 2 , it was released in 2004 on PC and MAC it is a strategic life simulation computer game, it also is the best selling computer game of all time.  Aaaah, Sims. What can I say about this little gem? You can do almost anything in Sims. You can create your dream self, act like Jigsaw, get married to your favourite celebrity, become a crazy cat lady/gentleman, basically anything. I mean the possibilities are endless. It's like dolls, but for adults (and it's socially acceptable, so big plus there.) The game by itself isn't all that great, the fun starts once you download CC and use cheats. Which is why this is number ten and not say, number five.

9.) Harvest Moon: Magical Melody for GameCube:



Harvest Moon: Magical Melody is a game released in 2006 by Natsume, it is a social simulation game. You get to choose between being a girl or boy and after making this very, very difficult decision (note the sarcasm) you grow crops and take care of your animals. You also cultivate relationships with the villagers, including your future spouse who you can have a child with in the future. Your child however, stays a baby forever. The game isn't difficult, and it can get repetitive after awhile. But I have a soft spot for this game seeing as how I've been playing it since I was 13/14 years old. The characters are adorable in their chibi style design, the music is sweet and matches the game perfectly, and gathering the musical notes to revive the Harvest Goddess is a good way to distract yourself from long boring days and before you know it, there goes half your day (This also applies to Sims as well.)

8.) Mirror's Edge for Playstation 3:




Mirror's Edge is a game released in 2008 for Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, it is a single-player first person action-adventure platform video game by Electronic Arts. You'll notice that a lot of the games that are my favourites also contain many of my favourite characters. You control Faith Connors who is a runner, as such you run, jump, slide, roll, and shimmy, these movements are inspired by parkour. The game is brightly coloured AND OHMYGOODNESS THERE IS A SEQUEL IN DEVELOPMENT... Sorry, I, uh, I just had to fan-girl for a moment. Anyways, when I played this game I was immediately taken with it. The plot is strong, the characters are interesting and the environment is beautifully rendered. Faith along with her sister Kate who is framed for murder live in a totalitarian dystopian society, it is up to Faith to find out what really happened.

7.)  Paper Mario for Nintendo 64:




Paper Mario is a RPG released in 2001 in North America and published by Nintendo. Once again our lovable hero Mario has to save Princess Peach... what a twist, and surprise, surprise Bowser did it. I first played this game on the Nintendo 64, some eleven-ish years ago at the tender age of eight years old, and I could not for the life of me get past the dragon. I recently replayed this classic and rediscovered my absolute love of this game and I also got to find out that the dragon was not difficult at all, how embarrassing. So our Italian plumber goes on a mission to save Peach, along with the help of a few sidekicks like Bombette, Lady Bow, Goombario, and more. I have to say that I love the musical score, it's just so... Mario. Perfect. Catchy. Expressive. Anyways you go through several different little "worlds" and each world gives you another sidekick and more exp and whatnot. Eventually you make it to the final stage and rescue Peach. And it definitely has replay value. The coolest things is that it looks like a paper world, I mean obviously. Right? It is called Paper Mario. The sequels Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario are just as awesome, however I chose this one because it is the original and because it is a major part of my video gaming childhood. Nostalgia FTW!

6.) BioShock for Playstation 3:




BioShock is a survival horror first-person shooter video game released on Playstation 3 (and Xbox and PC but at an earlier date), October, 2008 by 2K Boston (Now known as Irrational Games.) The game takes place in an alternate reality, the year being 1960. In BioShock you play as Jack a survivor of a plane crash in the Atlantic Ocean, you then take a bathyscaphe to Rapture which is an underground city, dystopian of course. The plot, oh my god, the plot. I love the story line and the game play. Also I don't want to ruin anything, but this game has a serious mind-fuck. Really. Throughout the game you will see Little Sisters, Big Daddies, Splicers, etc. There's plasmids, EVE, ADAM, and at this point if you haven't played it, I sound crazy. So do yourself a favour, and play it. It will be worth it. You have all these crazy "powers" which you fight the Splicers with. The game, of course is beautiful. As if you couldn't tell from the above picture, right?

5.) Conker's Bad Fur Day for Nintendo:



Conker's Bad Fur Day is an action-platform video game developed and published by Rare for the Nintendo 64 video game console in 2001. Surprisingly this game was first being developed for children, it was redesigned to appeal to a mature audience (I played it when I was eight. Bad parents, bad!) and the redesign included graphic violence, "toilet humour", and sexual themes. I still own this game on my Nintendo, and I play it semi-regularly, my younger sister and brother play it as well. When the game begins Conker is drinking with his friends, he tries to go home, buuuut (there's always a but isn't there?) he gets lost. Conker finds himself in many crazy situations, such as, fighting an alien that burst out of a panther's chest, being drafted into an army against the Tediz, being turned into a bat, and more. Sounds fun, yes? Because it is. And I wish I could say more, but you'll have to play it yourself. Oh, one more thing they have a multiplayer mode with seven different mini games and up to four people can play and they are really fun. Like hours and hours of fun.


4.) Alice: Madness Returns for Playstation 3:





Alice: Madness Returns is a video game for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 released on June 14, 2011, in North America. It is a sequel to American McGee's Alice. Alice: Madness Returns is a psychological horror video game. The game takes place after the events of the first one, where she became insane, went to an asylum, was eventually released. It has been a year since Alice was released, She lives in an orphanage and is under the care of Doctor Angus Bumby. Her worlds are intertwined, the real world and Wonderland. She tries to find out the truth about what happened in the fire that killed her parents and Lizzie. Eventually after everything is resolved, she finds herself in Londerland a mix between London and Wonderland. It's so pretty, the different levels are all beautifully designed, especially when Alice first appears in Wonderland. And her dresses, why can't I have them? Boo.

3.) Batman: Arkham Asylum for Playstation 3:



Batman: Arkham Asylum is an action-adventure video game based on DC Comics' superhero Batman. Released for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows released in 2009. Short summary: Joker comes up with a complex plan from inside Arkham Asylum, where other villains are being held. So Batman decides to see what is going on, he finds out his plans and stops him. Very simplified I know... But it's actually super complicated. The wonderful Mark Hamill voices Joker, honestly I don't think anyone else will ever compare. And Arleen Sorkin voices Harley Quinn (my personal favourite villain.) and she is quite marvelous as well. I played this with Reese and I annoyed her with constantly using detective mode, I just had to find every little secret and look in every nook and cranny. Just take note, if you ever play games with me, I'm obsessive with finding every little thing. It was difficult to choose between Arkham City and Arkham Asylum, but Arkham City (to me) is ever so slightly the better the two I also didn't put Arkham City on here because, like I said, I put one or the other.

2.) Lollipop Chainsaw for Playstation 3:



Lollipop Chainsaw is an action hack and slash video game developed by Grasshopper Manufacture for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 video game consoles, released on June 12, 2012. Juliette Starling is the main character, other characters include her sisters, Cordelia and Rosalind, along with her boyfriend Nick and her parents. Juliette is a cheerful cheerleader (Aaaah, you see what I did there?) and it is her birthday, she is on her way to meet her boyfriend who will be meeting her family for the first time. Unfortunately he is attacked by zombies trying to help Juliette, who then decapitates him to prevent him from becoming a zombie himself. Somehow Nick survives this... did I mention that Juliette is a zombie hunter? Because that is kind of important, y'know. It turns out that someone has opened a portal between Earth and Rotten World where demons and zombies reside. Swan (who opened the portal and is a freaky goth type) summons five demons. After going through each level and killing the zombie overlord of each level, Swan appears and reveals that her killing of the demons was part of the plan. He then kills himself and is absorbed along with the other Undead into a vortex, which solidifies into Killabilly. A giant, zombie of all zombies. So you beat him, then depending on whether you let any people die during the course of the game, you will get the good ending or the band ending. I got the bad ending. -Sad- Juliette's attacks are fun, I LOVE the sound track, her outfits are cute and Nick's quips often clever and funny. I think he's meant to point out the absurdity of the whole game (in a good way.)

and finally the moment you've all been waiting for... (not really.)

1.) Tekken 6 for Playstation 3:





Tekken 6 is a fighting game developed and published by Namco Bandai it was released for Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 on October 27, 2009. A lot, and I mean a lot of people don't particularly like this installmant of Tekken. I do. Okay? I feel like making this number one is almost sacrilegious since people dislike it so much. It's alright, because this is my list, not theirs or yours. Mine. It really is a fun game, and the customization is entertaining. I play with Ling Xiaoyu and so far I've customized her as Sailor Moon, Hatsune Miku, Chun-Li, Joker, Alice the Rabbit, Lei Fang, Juri, Tinkerbell, and other random things that look cute together. The music I really do not care for at all, it gets a bit grating after awhile.Tekken is obviously a fighting game, I like the controls for Tekken way better than Street Fighter's. I liked campaign mode, it wasn't perfect, but I liked that the characters got to interact with each other. Another thing, the endings are just... breathtakingly beautiful. I know I keep saying that about every game, and here it holds even more true. The opening cinematic is almost mind-blowing. I've been obsessively playing Tekken 6 for about two years or so. Online is a bit dodgy, it likes to randomly drop fights and then there's all the spammers. 

How did you like the list? Drop me a comment with your thoughts. I felt the list was a bit rambly, any suggestions and tips would be appreciated. I'm a bit rusty and I need to get back into the swing of things. Maybe this list disappointed you, if it did, sorry. I just like all games, I'm not going to dislike a game because it isn't widely celebrated or anything like that and my gaming choices are far less... highly acclaimed than Reese's tend to be. Her list should be done soon as well, so stay tuned folks.


                                                                                                                  - xoxo Chantal
                                                                                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment